Oral health is essential to the well-being of your entire body. Routine brushing and flossing at home are necessary to maintain your teeth and gum health and make your smile look its best. However, this is not enough. It is essential to visit your dentist for a comprehensive exam and cleaning at regular intervals. As per the American Dental Association, you should visit your dentist at least every six months to ensure your teeth stay healthy and strong.
Importance of Dental Exams and Cleanings
Regular dental exams and professional teeth cleaning are the keystone of preventive dentistry and aim to prevent or minimize oral health issues.
Routine dental checkups and cleanings are crucial to keeping your teeth and gums healthy as they help identify, monitor, and prevent dental issues and treat them before they progress. They also ensure your dental health is optimal and help you avoid costly dental procedures in the future.
By routinely visiting your dentist for dental exams and cleanings, you can:
- Prevent tooth decay and gum disease
- Prevent bad breath
- Save money by avoiding costly and extensive dental procedures
- Keep your teeth healthy and white by reducing staining and discoloration
- Reduce the time spent in the dentist's office
Benefits of Regular Dental Exams
During your dental exam, our dentist will examine your mouth and look for any signs of tooth decay, infections, fractures, etc. The dentist may also take X-rays to examine your teeth and gums in more detail.
Dental checkups can also help identify other issues such as:
- Gum disease: Gum disease is one of the major reasons for tooth loss in many adults. Dental exams help detect and treat gum disease early.
- Oral cancer: Cancers of the mouth or throat are usually diagnosed by dentists during routine checkups. If detected in its early stages, oral cancer is treatable.
- Sleep apnea: American Dental Association highly recommends dentists screen patients for sleep apnea and other Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders (SRBD). Our dentists and hygienists are educated to identify the risk factors, signs, and symptoms of SRBD. Our offices also offer home sleep tests.
- Other medical conditions: During your regular dental exams, our dentist can identify issues like yeast infections, lung problems, or diabetes.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
Professional teeth cleaning (oral prophylaxis) helps eliminate the accumulation of bacteria, plaque, and tartar, which can develop even if you follow proper oral hygiene practices like brushing and flossing.
Your dental exam includes removing these deposits from the surface of the teeth and between the teeth using special tools. If plaque hardens into tartar, it can only be removed by a dental professional. If you have plaque buildup beneath the gum line, our dentist or dental hygienist will use a technique called scaling to fix the problem.
Professional cleanings help prevent tooth decay, cavities, tooth loss, and gum disease while helping you have fresher breath and a brighter smile.
Regular dental cleanings can reduce the risk of lung diseases, cancer, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
To schedule a consultation with our dental experts, call any of our offices in Livonia [at (734) 425-7888] or Ann Arbor [at (734) 888-8886] or book an appointment online. We're always happy to help our patients!