Have you faced trouble with your wisdom teeth lately? It could be due to the impaction of the wisdom tooth while erupting from the jawbone, resulting in severe pain and discomfort, which significantly increases the risk of developing infections. Hence, getting the impacted tooth treated at the earliest is crucial in preventing damage to your jawbone and adjoining teeth.
What are the symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth?
- Since the tooth gets stuck in the jawbone socket, it can lead to severe pain and discomfort, especially when you bite and chew food or brush your teeth.
- When the tooth is left untreated for a long duration, it may go through severe impaction with the jawbone or the adjoining teeth.
- In the later stages, impacted wisdom teeth may lead to jawbone deterioration.
- The risk of developing infections would be heightened, as the microbes could decay the tissues near the impacted tooth.
- Discharge of pus and bleeding gums.
What is the solution?
The dentist conducts a thorough diagnosis of the impacted tooth. If the impaction isn’t too severe, we may be able to save the tooth using medication. But, if the tooth is affected at a somewhat awkward or inclined angle, leading to being stuck in the jawbone, we would have to extract the tooth entirely.
The dentist will give local anesthesia to numb the tooth and the surrounding tissues before commencing the extraction. If the tooth is concealed under the gums, we will make a small slit on the tissues to expose it. The dentist uses forceps to grip the tooth firmly, after which we will shake it to loosen it from the surrounding tissues. Once the tooth has loosened, we will remove it in one firm motion. If the tooth can’t be removed in one piece, we may have to section it into smaller fragments and remove them individually.
Once it has been removed, we will suggest suitable aftercare instructions to enable optimum healing of the wound.
You may schedule a consultation with our team of dental experts by calling us or reaching us through an online query. We’re always happy to help.