Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral present in water and some foods. When ingested or used topically, fluoride helps to prevent tooth decay making the tooth more resistant to acid attacks caused by sugars and bacteria. The fluoride acts as a shield for the outer layer of the teeth and can even reverse early dental decay in some cases.
Topical Fluoride Treatments
Fluoride can be applied to the teeth as a topical gel or found in dental products like toothpaste and mouthwash. When it penetrates the tooth enamel's surface, fluoride makes teeth more resistant to decay. Topical fluoride treatments are especially recommended for children and elderly people to protect their teeth from decay.
Benefits of Fluoride Treatments
- Inhibit oral bacteria: Fluoride treatments make it difficult for bacteria to grow, multiply, and stick to teeth.
- Save money: Since fluoride helps prevent tooth decay, it can save you considerable expense in dental care.
- It's natural: Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that can be found in water, many foods, and within the earth's crust.
- Application of fluoride is easy: The application of fluoride is quick, easy, and painless.
- Promotes dental development: The intake or exposure to fluoride is important to a child's dental development.
However, remember that application or intake of fluoride alone won't prevent tooth decay! Don’t forget to brush at least twice a day, floss daily, eat balanced meals, and take care of your diet.
Who Are the Ideal Candidates for Fluoride Treatment?
Virtually everyone and especially children and elderly people can benefit from fluoride treatments. These treatments are especially beneficial to those who are prone to dental cavities or have the following dental concerns:
- Dry mouth (xerostomia)
- Gum disease and gum recession
- Have undergone restorative dental work, including crowns, bridges, and braces
To schedule a consultation with our dental experts, call any of our offices in Livonia [at (734) 425-7888] or Ann Arbor [at (734) 888-8886] or book an appointment online. We're always happy to help our patients!